Fall 2022 Information for Chicago-Kent Students
To our entering students, welcome to Chicago-Kent! You have an exciting few years ahead of you. To our continuing students, welcome back! I hope you had an enjoyable and productive summer.
I'm writing to share some information and reminders as the new school year begins.
Start of semester: Orientation for entering students starts today, and Fall classes begin next Monday, August 22. Please see the Fall 2022 Quick Guide page for the latest version of the class schedule, initial reading assignments, and other information about Fall classes.
COVID-19 policies: Please review our updated set of policies and procedures for the Fall semester, available here. This supplements the university's policies, which are available here. The university plans on continuing to base its policies on those recommended by public health authorities. Please note the following:
- Vaccination and testing: The university is still requiring that students, faculty, and staff be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including one booster shot, unless you have received an exemption on medical or religious grounds. If you have already submitted documentation (recently or, for continuing students, in a prior semester), you do not need to submit anything additional at this time. Unlike last semester, the university is not requiring members of the university community to submit COVID-19 test results prior to the start of the semester.
- COVID-19 diagnoses, symptoms, or close contact: The university's policy continues to require that students, faculty, and staff who test positive for COVID-19 isolate for five days and wear a mask for an additional five days after leaving isolation. (Please note that these policies may be revised to reflect evolving guidance from public health authorities.) In the event you test positive for COVID-19, have close contact with someone who has tested positive, or exhibit symptoms consistent with COVID-19, please immediately email email@example.com and copy Dean Abhijeet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wearing masks: The university's policy on masks remains unchanged: masks are not required in the building, but you may wear one if you wish.
- Entering the building: We will continue to require students, faculty, and staff to tap their ID cards on the scanner at the security desk, or on the right side of the stairway, each time they enter the building. New students will receive their ID cards early this week.
- Visitors: All visitors, including alumni, must present a driver's license or other valid government-issued ID and sign in at the security desk. If you will be bringing visitors into the building, please review the relevant policies here. Please note that the Law Library is only open to current Illinois Tech students, faculty, and staff.
Fall courses and class recordings: As previously announced, classes will not be offered in hybrid format this Fall. Most classes will meet in-person, while a few are being offered entirely online. Unless required as an ADA accommodation, faculty have the discretion whether to record their classes or not for later viewing. Those who elect to record their classes may make the recordings available for all enrolled students, or make them available only on a case-by-case basis (e.g., to students who miss a class due to illness or have an approved absence for other reasons). Please note: If you do have to miss class, you will not be able to participate live by Zoom; your option is to watch a recording of the class if one is available.
Monkeypox: The university is monitoring the public health advisories concerning monkeypox and will update the university community as necessary. Faculty, staff, and students meeting the CDC guidelines can request a monkeypox vaccination by contacting their primary care providers (the school's insurance will cover the cost).
I wish you all the best for the new semester and look forward to seeing you soon.