LL.M. Application Procedures
- LL.M. Programs
- LL.M. Application Procedures
Thank you for your interest in Chicago-Kent's LL.M. programs. If you are interested in applying for any of our programs, the application procedures are as follows:
- Applicants must complete an online application. You will need to create an account in the IIT applicant portal. Please make sure to select "graduate application" when starting your application in the applicant portal.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. The recommendation letters will enable us to assess the applicant's capacity for advanced legal study. Applicants can request a recommendation letter from their references via email by adding the references' contact email address in the applicant portal.
- Applicants who are practicing lawyers must submit a notarized copy of their License to Practice. In addition, practicing lawyers must also submit an official original copy of their law school transcript, bearing the stamp or seal of the school. These documents can be uploaded directly online to the applicant portal in PDF format.
- Applicants who are currently in law school must submit an official original copy of their law school transcript, bearing the stamp or seal of the school. These documents can be uploaded directly online to the applicant portal in PDF format.
- Applicants must submit a personal statement, which should address their interest in a particular course of study within the LL.M. Program. The statement can be uploaded to the online applicant portal directly in PDF format.
- English Proficiency. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Duolingo English Test (DET) is required of all applicants who are not native speakers of English or who did not receive their legal education at an institution which uses English as the primary language of instruction. Applicants should either arrange for the ETS or IELTS e-delivery to send an official TOEFL or IELTS score report to the Office of International Law and Policy OR provide us with a recent score report reference number. Our TOEFL institution code is 1115. Successful applicants to the LL.M. program typically have a TOEFL score of approximately 100 on the internet based test (IBT), a score of 6.5 on the IELTS test, or a score of 100 on the DET, although applicants with slightly lower scores will be considered at the sole discretion of the Admissions Committee.
The TOEFL/IELTS may be waived at the discretion of the Admissions Committee for applicants for whom English has been the primary language of instruction in prior study or who can otherwise substantiate their English proficiency. Applicants who wish to have the TOEFL/IELTS requirement waived must submit a written request with their application for admission that includes an explanation of their familiarity with English and any appropriate supporting documentation. TOEFL/IELTS waivers are not automatically granted and require the approval of the Admissions Committee.
The Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is not required of applicants applying for the LL.M. Programs.
If for any reason you are not able to complete an application via the online applicant portal, you may opt to forward all completed materials, transcripts, and test results to the
Chicago-Kent College of Law
Office of International Law and Policy
565 West Adams Street
Chicago, Illinois 60661, U.S.A.
Please do not send your documents to the main admissions office of the law school.
An application is complete only when all of the required materials have been submitted via the online applicant portal or all of the documents described above have been received via post/courier. We strongly advise all applications and supporting documents are submitted by April 1. Applications will be considered by the committee once they are complete, and it is incumbent on the applicant to timely submit all necessary documentation. All materials submitted with, or in support of, an application become the property of the College of Law and are not returnable. For further information about the admissions process or the LL.M. program, please e-mail us at email@example.com.