Before you begin your housing search, think about what is important to you. Is living in an area with a lively nightlife important? Do you want to minimize your commute to and from law school? Is price a factor? Do you want to live with other law students? Are you a city person? Fortunately, Chicago and the surrounding suburbs offer a diverse set of options, which will allow you to find the housing situation that best suits you.
Chicago-Kent does not endorse any particular company, service, or building. We encourage you to explore all that the city's housing market has to offer. If you're looking for a roommate, please refer to our Roommate Request page.
Chicago-Kent students live throughout the city and suburbs. Some students love the convenience of living near the law school and are willing to pay slightly higher downtown Chicago rents in exchange for the ability to walk to school and go home for meals during the day. Other students prefer to live in neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park on the city's near north side where the rents are more affordable and social activities are plentiful. In exchange, they are willing to commute on either the bus or “L” trains to reach the law school.
Chicago is made up of many different neighborhoods, each with its own distinct character. Just a few—but certainly not all—of the neighborhoods popular with Chicago-Kent students are listed below:
- Downtown: Loop, West Loop, Printer's Row (South Loop), River North, Streeterville
- North Side: Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville
- Far North Side: Andersonville, East Rogers Park, Uptown
- South Side: Bronzeville, Hyde Park, Bridgeport, Pilsen
- Near West Side: Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square
- Suburbs: Chicago-Kent is located near two of the main Metra train stations which makes commuting from many of the neighboring suburbs convenient.
Illinois Tech On-Campus Housing
While most law students prefer to live in other areas of Chicago, housing on Mies Campus (approximately 6 miles south of the law school) is an attractive option for students who place a premium on affordability and convenience. For more information, please visit Illinois Tech Office of Residence Life or call 312.567.5075.