Federal Aid Eligibility

In order to receive federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be a United States citizen. International students who wish to inquire about financial aid options will find detailed information on our private education loan page.
  • Complete the Free Application for federal student aid (FAFSA)
  • Have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or have completed a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (six credit-hours for the fall and spring semesters and three credit hours for the summer term) as a degree-seeking student.
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress while at Chicago-Kent College.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25).
  • Have a valid Social Security number unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.

Official Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid

  1. In accordance with the eligibility requirements listed above, the total amount that you accept of your offered award will be divided equally among the semesters in which you have been awarded (i.e. Fall and Spring). Financial Aid for one semester only (i.e., Fall graduates) will be disbursed in one payment within the semester awarded, less the Department of Education Origination Fees.
  2. All first-time federal student loan borrowers at Chicago Kent College of Law must complete Entrance Loan Counseling to learn about their rights and responsibilities of the loan programs. Students can complete this requirement online at studentloans.gov
  3. Award adjustments will be made after the end of the add/drop period if a student exceeds their eligibility due to enrollment hours.
  4. You are required to notify our office as soon as possible if you are receiving any type of additional resources. Additional resources are used in determining a student's eligibility for federal aid as required by the Department of Education. Examples of additional resources include employer tuition reimbursement, outside gift assistance or scholarships, etc.  If you receive an additional financial aid resource after you have borrowed your maximum financial aid eligibility amount for academic year, your financial aid may need to be adjusted.
  5. You will be contacted to complete any missing required documents in future correspondence. Funds will not be disbursed until all eligibility and missing document requirements are satisfied. Provided that all requirements are satisfied, the Office of Financial Aid will disburse awarded funds to student’s accounts no earlier than 10 days prior to the first day of classes.
  6. Summer, Study Abroad and Visiting Away students students have different eligibility requirements; please visit each individual webpage for specific details. For more detailed information on federal student aid eligibility, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.
  7. Federal financial aid does not cover BAR prep courses.  However, there are BAR Loans that you may apply for to help cover the cost of BAR prep.  BAR Loans are private education loans. Please visit our BAR Examination Study Loans  webpage for information on how to apply.